Sunday, October 16, 2016

Forgive me, Mr. Claus. I'm afraid I've made a terrible mess of your holiday.

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Once upon a time, I was in high school (for the record, I had my ten year reunion last year). Everything was pretty normal…then something changed. I saw a Jack Skellington messenger bag, presumably from Hot Topic. Suddenly, Nightmare Before Christmas became super cool. All the emo kids loved Sally and Jack. Personally, I didn't get it. I guess I wasn't cool enough.

I do remember seeing this movie a lot on HBO as a kid. Watching now, a decade removed from high school when it became popular again, it's a good movie. It's creative, funny, and touching, unlike anything Tim Burton has done lately. Yeah I said it. Tim Burton has become a parody of himself.

I also didn't realize how amazing the music is…kudos to you, Danny Elfman.

Plot in a Nutshell: Pumpkin King Jack Skellington is having a mid-death crisis. After the latest Halloween extravaganza, he gets super depressed. He and his ghost dog Zero wander far and eventually end up in Christmas Town, where Jack has an epiphany—the creatures of Halloween Town should celebrate Christmas! Meanwhile, Sally, who was created by a mad scientist, longs to be her own being. Sally is the only one convinced that Halloween Town shouldn't be celebrating Christmas. Oogie Boogie's treat-or-treater minions capture "Sandy Claws". After a disastrous Christmas, in which Jack attempts to take Santa's place and is shot down by the military, Jack and his allies rescue Santa from Oogie and all is right in the world once again.

WTF: I realize that the point of him is supposed to be a creepy mad scientist, but Doctor Finklestein really creeps me out more than anyone else. That poor Easter Bunny. Is the point not to rebel against your true nature (Halloween Town creatures must only celebrate Halloween and Christmas Town creatures only celebrating Christmas, et cetera)? Oogie loves black light. How very early 90s. Those poor kids getting victimized by their "Halloween" Christmas presents.

Fun Facts are Fun: Sir Patrick Stewart is the narrator for the prologue and epilogue. What?!?!? Gotta love Sir PatStew. Danny Elfman is Jack's signing voice. Whose Line alum Greg Proops voices various characters.

The Verdict: Definitely worth a rewatch.


Next week I'll be watching possibly my favorite Halloween movie—Hocus Pocus. Amuck amuck amuck amuck!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment