Sunday, October 23, 2016

I'm sorry, Emily. I had to wait three hundred years for a virgin to light a candle.

Hocus Pocus

I've been looking forward to reviewing this movie for a while now. Like that awful Power Rangers movie, I have a lot of fond memories of Hocus Pocus. I still kind of want to find two people willing to be the Sanderson sisters with me for Halloween.

Unlike Power Rangers, Hocus Pocus is still just as fun and amazing as it was when it came out in 1993. Thora Birch is so good. Sarah Jessica Parker is at her best. I let out a sigh when I saw Garry Marshall (rest in peace, good sir). It's so quotable. It's so classic. Ugh, can I marry this movie?

I mean, hell, I sort of wished I had a big brother like Thackery Binx. Keywords are "sort of." Being an only child does have its perks.

Plot in a Nutshell: In 1693 Salem, teenage Puritan hottie Thackery Binx fails to save his younger sister Emily from having her life force sucked out of her by the deliciously evil Sanderson sister. Before they're caught by the town, they curse Thackery Binx into becoming an immortal black cat. Flash forward 300 years later, where annoyed, less hot teenager Max Dennison has to take his sister Dani trick-or-treating in their new hometown---Salem. In order to impress his new crush Allison, Max, Dani, and Allison go to the Sanderson sisters' house/museum. Like an idiot, he lights the Black Flame Candle, giving the sisters life again. However, all is not lost! Immortal black cat Thackery Binx is on the case. Hijinks ensue. In the final showdown, Max sacrifices himself for Dani, getting some of his life force sucked out of him. But the sun rises in time, destroying the sisters once and for all! Thackery Binx is finally free to join his family in the afterlife.

WTF: I realize that in 1693 people weren't too smart, but seriously, the townspeople of Salem couldn't figure out that random children were missing and hmmmmm it might be these weird crazy sisters doing it? Dani and Max's parents are legitimately so dumb. Now that Billy Butcherson was resurrected by Winifred, is going to just sleep in grave and wake up every so often? Poor dude. Why did the adults let those two dummies terrorize trick-or-treaters?

Fun Facts are Fun: Sean Murray, who played Thackery Binx, is on NCIS. Oddly enough, Sean Murray wasn't the voice of Binx the cat. Jason Marsden was. "I Put a Spell on You" was arranged and produced by Marc Shaiman, the Grammy, Emmy, and Tony Award-winning composer and lyricist.

The Verdict: HELL YES.

Next week, it's time to go to Halloweentown.

No comments:

Post a Comment