Sunday, September 11, 2016

Let's see, Goobers or Raisinets...Goobers or Raisinets

Tiny Toons: How I Spent My Vacation


I don't have the emotional connection to this movie like I did with Power Rangers. However, I do remember being very fond of this movie and nearly wearing out the VHS tape (goodness I'm old). I wore out only two VHS tapes—Cinderella and Apollo 13. I'm not sure what that says about me. Geeky princess? Lonely girl who speaks to animals? Eh, I think it's more of the first one.

Like Power Rangers though, this one wasn't nearly as good as I remember. How I Spent My Vacation came out in 1992 and really doesn't age well. Maybe it's all the weird references to David Letterman, Arsenio Hall, Cher, and Roseanne. Maybe it's because the animation isn't the best either. Or maybe…it's just not good. IMDB says it's 79 minutes long, and it felt like at least 2 hours.

That's not to say that I outright hate it or that my heart was shattered (I'm looking at you, Power Rangers). The whole sequence with Fowlmouth and Shirley at the movies is still humorous.

Yeah, that's it.

Plot in a Nutshell: School is out for the summer. Buster and Babs start an insane water gun fight and end up in Deliverance with possums, gators, and toads. Plucky and Hampton go on the road trip from hell to Happy World Land aka Fake Disney Land with Hampton's family. Shirley is repeatedly harassed by Fowlmouth. Elmyra continues her quest for a kitty, being horrifically abusive to all animals along the way. Fifi stalks her favorite skunk movie star.

WTF: The inclusion of Woody Allen in the celebrities at the movies montage is creepy as hell. Do Plucky's parents know that he went on a seemingly months-long trip with Hampton's family? Who the hell picks up a serial killer hitchhiker?

Fun Facts are Fun: Cree Summer, who voices Elmyra, is also the voice of Susie Carmichael from Rugrats and Penny from Inspector Gadget.

The Verdict: I really hope this trend of not being as good as I remember continues. Oof.

Join me next week for The Rescuers Down Under. It has to hold up better than the last two movies, right? Right? RIGHT?

2 comments:

  1. I loved Rescuers Down Under! I'm a little scared to hear your review as I haven't seen it in YEARS. Side note - one of my faves when I was little was "The Great Mouse Detective." Watched it again the other day and still giggled quite a bit. ;-)
    Yavanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been scared this whole time...some of these really don't hold up well at all lol

      Great Mouse Detective is one of my favs too omgggg

      Delete