Sunday, November 20, 2016

I promise I'll never swear again. I'll never get another technical. I'll never trash talk...I won't go out with Madonna again.

Space Jam

I'm sure you're all so disappointed that I'm not reviewing Phantom Menace this week. So. Disappointed.

However, the opportunity came up for me and a friend to see Space Jam in the theater for the 20th anniversary. Holy crap, it's been 20 years since Space Jam?! I feel so old. I don't feel as old and dated as the movie is though. Woof, it's definitely a 90s movie---from the effects to who's in it to the music.

That's not to say that I regret seeing it again. I don't. It's a weird relic of the mid-90s that will be seen by future generations as a genuinely weird movie of its time.

Plot in a Nutshell: Michael Jordan, GOAT of basketball, decides to leave the sport he's really good at for…baseball. Yikes, not a good choice dude. Meanwhile, in a galaxy far far away, an alien theme park is losing money, so the greedy owner comes up with the BEST PLAN EVER---kidnap the Looney Tunes and make them perform in the theme park forever. Hey aliens, it's not going to that easy. Thanks to some quick thinking by Bugs Bunny, they challenge the aliens, who are short, to a basketball game. What Bugs and his buds don't count on is that the aliens are crafty and steal the talents of five NBA stars, including Charles Barkley, to make themselves better. Oh no, you guise! That's when they rope in Michael Jordan to play with them in the Big Game. Somehow, Bill Murray also shows up and plays in the game too. The good guys win, the little aliens give the NBA players back their talent, and everyone lives happily ever after.

WTF: Did Bill Murray need the money? Why is he even in this movie? Why aren't people freaking out that there are aliens on Earth? Or better yet, that the Looney Tunes are real?

Fun Facts are Fun: The movie's website still exists. Go find it. (Thanks to my amazing coworker for that bit of 90s goodness.)

The Verdict: Eh, just watch it again. You'll see just how weird it is.

Okay, I promise I'll do Phantom Menace next week. Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment