Sunday, April 2, 2017

Okay, so we've got a new student joining us in detention, Tommy Oliver. Tommy Oliver?

Power Rangers

I figured I should do the reboot of Power Rangers since I did the one that came out when I was kid for the first ever post. I dragged a friend with me for discount Tuesday to see it…and it wasn't that bad. Loved seeing the Zords. MOAR ZORDS. And more sassy Bryan Cranston.

However, that's not to say it was great either. I know this supposed to be an origin story, whereas the other Power Rangers movie had everything already established, but goodness that part of it dragged for a while. I'm not sure I really care that Jason was a star football player who made a couple of poor decisions that cost him everything? Or that Kimberly is a reformed Mean Girl who does the "I'm different now so I'll hack off my hair in the bathroom" thing? #SorryNotSorry I do like that Trini is questioning her sexuality. That's a nice step forward.

Plot in a Nutshell: After a prank gone bad and a car crash, ex-football star Jason is sent to detention for forever? He meets Billy and Kimberly. Billy asks Jason to take him to the quarry, where they meet up with Zack and Trini and find some glowing stones. Dear readers, if you see glowing stones at a quarry, DO NOT PICK THEM UP. They become the Power Rangers, have a training montage with Alpha 5, Zordon is a dick, and Rita starts off as a mummy and then starts killing Angel Grove citizens for gold. GO GO POWER RANGERS. They save the world.

WTF: Whatever happened with Billy's mom's van??????????????? Did Zordon and Rita have a thing? Because it seems like they did to be honest.

Fun Facts are Fun: Amy Jo Johnson and Jason David Frank, the original Kimberly and Tommy, have cameos as Angel Grove citizens. Bryan Cranston voiced monsters in the original TV series, and the character Billy Cranston is named after him.

The Verdict: Eh, it's worth a watch if you have kids or have fond memories of the series. Just skip the first half.

Hmmmm is it time to review another show? I think so…

No comments:

Post a Comment