Sunday, January 8, 2017

Don't be frightened, young man. My bark is worse than my bite.

Pocahontas

I already put off this movie once already. I almost wanted to do Empire Strikes Back, but I have that down for next week!

Now, back to Pocahontas, it's a visually stunning movie. The sequences for "Color of the Wind" are just gorgeous.

In case you all didn't guess I'm a white person. I know this movie deals with very serious issues like racism, exploitation, and colonialism. Pocahontas's tribe has a page entitled "The Pocahontas Myth." Here's the link: http://www.powhatan.org/pocc.html. I'll provide a few little nuggets of info, but really, please read it. Matoaka was Pocahontas's real name. She was held captive by the English for a year. As part of her negotiated release, she had to marry John Rolfe. I encourage all my readers to learn more about the real woman.

Plot in a Nutshell: White people come to America and fuck it up. Meeko eats a lot.

WTF: Real life Pocahontas was ten years old when the events of this movie happened. Yikes. It sounds like Mel Gibson is using his Australian accent in this? I think?

Fun Facts are Fun: According to IMDB, Sean Bean almost voiced John Smith, but Disney wanted a more well-known actor. Grandmother Willow was supposed to be a male character voiced by Gregory Peck, but he felt that the part would be better if character was a woman. Real John Smith was kind of an asshole. David Ogden Stiers voiced not only Governor Radcliffe but also his servant Wiggins and Cogsworth in Beauty and the Beast.

The Verdict: The animation is great if you're into that.

Next week it's another Star Wars movie because…I say so! It's Empire Strikes Back. Do I love it as much as everyone else? Or…do I prefer another?

Dear readers, I'm asking for requests! Please leave a comment here, on my twitter @vikkiabby, or on my FB. 

No comments:

Post a Comment